For a long time, many of our consumer habits have appeared to have no consequence. It is now quite apparent that there is an imbalance in standards of living throughout the world which is fueled by the Wests continuing short changing and exploitation of labour markets in the so called third world.
We don't believe anyone who is truly aware of what is going on in the world would want to turn their heads and support a slave trade economy.
Being into clothes we decided to do something about it. Certified fairtrade organic clothing that is ethically and sustainably made from seed to garment.
“The World Health Organisation estimates that 20,000 people a year die in developing countries from pesticide poisoning, and a further 3 million people suffer chronic health problems”
Kowtow only uses 100% fairtrade certified cotton, as certified by the Fairtrade labelling Organisation and the benefits are:
- The Fairtrade guaranteed minimum price covers the costs of production and provides a sustainable livelihood for Kowtow cotton producers.
- The Fairtrade premium enables co-operatives to fund projects that benefit the organisation and wider community: business and agricultural training; drilling bore holes for clean water; building schools and clinics.
- Kowtow fairtrade producers benefit from advance payment and long-term relationships with buyers.
- Kowtow fairtrade producer groups are democratically run and respect the rights of farmers and farm workers.
- Fairtrade production standards encourage sustainable agriculture and protection of the environment.
“Cotton covers 2.5% of the world’s cultivated land, yet it accounts for 25% of the world’s insecticide market and 10% of global pesticide sales, making it the most pesticide-intensive crop grown on the planet”
Kowtow only uses 100% organic certified cotton, as certified by SKAL International and the benefit are:
- Never uses genetically modified seeds.
- Conserves soil though crop rotation.
- Retains water more efficiently thanks to increased organic matter in the soil.
- Controls weeds through physical removal rather than chemical destruction.
- Controls insects by maintaining a balance between “pests” and their natural predators through healthy soils.
The factory in Kolkata, India where Kowtow garments are made has the following benefits:
- Only works with certified organic cotton.
- Factory sponsors projects such as Girls Education, Cow Shed and Cow Donation programs in the farmers villages.
- All fabric is dyed using Global Organic Textiles Standard (GOTS) approved dyes which are free of hazardous elements such as nickel, lead, formaldehyde, amines, pesticides and heavy metals.
- Employees receive a living wage and factory pays for their social security and pension funds.
- Employees receive House Rent, which is 5% of their basic wages.
- Employees receive free transport services to the factory.
- Employees receive paid holiday leave, sick pay, medical insurance, subsidies lunches and overtime pay.
- Employees children all receive free schooling.
- Employees work in a well lit, well ventilated and spacious working environment.
- Benefit from work place unions.